Insulating the loft of your home is a daunting task; however, the reduced annual bill always gives a sense of contentment to everyone. The greatest advantage of insulting the loft is that it helps to prevent the heat of your home escape outside in winter and entering the heat inside the home in summer. Not only this, but loft insulation also helps to overcome the annual electricity bills. Therefore, insulating the loft of your home has become a requirement today.
Although you have taken insulating services at your home, it is imperative to insulate the loft to prevent heat from skipping.
Common Ways of Roof or Loft Insulation In 2021
In this guide, we will get you through a few most common ways, which are popular amongst UK citizens in 2021.
Blanket Insulation is generally done with mineral fiber, for instance, rock, glass, or sheep's wool fiber, which is the most commonly used loft insulation type material today. One of the potential benefits of this loft insulation type is that it is basically a do-it-yourself job and is suitable for space that is easy to insulate.
Here is how you can streamline the process of blanket insulation:
• The first thing that you need to do is measure the roof or loft space.
• Cut the insulating material as per the structure of your roof and put it between the joints, try to start it from the center of your loft.
• Repeat the process again from the reverse side up to the center of the loft.
• You can also cut material as per your convenience however try to avoid any stretching while doing so because it can weaken the material.
• Furthermore, install an additional layer of insulating material to reach it up to 250mm to 270mm set by the UK government.
- Sheet or Board Insulation
Another recommended method of roof insulation is sheet or board insulation, which can be facilitated through phenolic and polystyrene boards, however, you need to cut them in the right sizes to avoid any wear or tear.
The benefit of choosing such type of insulation material is that they are entirely eco-friendly and they would have substantial performance. However, the downside is that they will be a little more costly compared to other ways of home loft insulation.
In sheet or board insulation, the material is placed within the roof rafters, by keeping some space to avoid condensation.
- Loose-fill Insulation
In this type of insulation, lightweight material, for instance, wool, cellulose fiber is used which could be an ultimate solution when adding insulation to the existing loft one or in barely accessible spaces however there may be a chance of coming loose when there is the draft.
Do not try to do such sort of insulation by yourself, certified professionals only should handle it because of the risk involved.
Before Loft Insulation Guide
At first, ensure that you have easy access to your loft, ensuring this will ease the process of insulation. You can choose a diverse loft hatch for the insulation, for instance, timber rigid plastic extra. It is advised to consult with an expert before installing the hatch, because the process may require some ceiling joint separation that may weaken the structure of your roof.
If there is any repair work pending, complete it first. Try to avoid installing insulation material; until there are fixes that need to do on the roof. If the roof that you are insulating will be poorly protected, this may affect the insulation and all the money will go in vain.
Recommended Depth for Loft Insulation by the UK Government
Have you already have some insulation in your home? Well, if yes, you should check its depth because the prescribed depth of loft insulation depends on applicable regulation. The UK Home Insulation Regulation had once set the limit on 100mm. However, if your home is built back in 1970, this should be disposed of right away.
Nowadays, the recommended depth is somewhere between 250 and 270mm, which can be achieved through the double-layered insulation, in which around 170mm will be laid across the joints and the rest 100mm will be placed between joints.
Precautions that You Need to Take Before Loft Insulation
Before installing loft insulation in your home, there are a few aspects that you need to take note of understanding some basic problems that may occur during insulation and ways to overcome them.
• Firstly, you should avoid placing a heavy object on the top of the roof because this may cause breakage in the fiber that you have used for insulation and which may reduce the effectiveness of insulation.
• Another potential problem that may occur is leakage of air from some ceiling penetrations, for instance, wiring and lighting fixture points. Hence, it is must take measures and prevent leakage of air from such points you are unaware of.
• Consider using protective types of equipment like gloves. Protective suits or goggles because some insulating materials may cause skin irritations late. Make sure your skin is adequately covered and protected to prevent any hazards.
• Work in a well-ventilated space and always try to keep the loft hatch nearby and make sure to dispose of all the waste properly when performing the task.
If these issues will not be solved with proper precautions while loft insulation, they may cause serious hazards later.
The Sustainable Energy Authority of the United Kingdom has launched an energy-saving program plan wi...
Many people have heard about the evacuated tube solar collector, but they do not know what the pur...
What is a green home grant scheme? Because of the government's stated intention to reduce CO2 emiss...